Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Caribbean Winter


I've always said there is nothing better than winter in the Caribbean. It's cooler (even chilly at night); breezy; there's surf; and our businesses are humming. Mostly, the everpresent humidity that defines much of the year is absent. Winter is surf season so we get our in the waves a lot. We're heavy into paddle boarding now. We enjoy both flat water and waves. Steep learning curve still, but lots of fun. We undertake a lot of inter-island travel this time of year checking out our shops in Antigua and St Barth. (Attached photo was snapped from a yacht close to the St Maarten airport as we were sailing home from St Barth last month). I'm just back from a flying visit to Antigua where I visited my friend Eli Fuller. He has a new 40ft Carriacou island sloop which I am dying to sail. These are the boats that used to ply the Caribbean. They are fast & seaworthy, if slightly wet. Eli, his girlfriend Mykl and another friend and I Roddy went out to dinner Sunday night where they regaled me with tales of snorkelling with sharls on Cades Reef, and the great weather thay had for the sail from Antigua to St Maarten. Speaking of sharks, the Highland Spring HIHO race is filling up. A potential entrant asked if we ever see sharks to which I had to thruthfully reply "no".

No comments: